Taiwan is one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world. In fact, it has been ranked as having the 4th fastest internet speed in the world! That being said, Taiwan also has some of the best VR/AR technology companies out there that are making waves with their innovations. Here is the list of Taiwanese VR/AR Technology Companies.
- Founded in: 1997
- Products: VR headsets, accessories, and Videogames
- Website: HTC Vive
- HTC Vive:
HTC together with Valve developed the premium forerunner VR headset in 2015, HTC Vive. It had a futuristic 90Hz refresh rate and 110 degrees field of view. Along with that, it boasted a “room-scale” tracking mechanism allowing the user to move in 3D space without any hassle. It is in the same race as Oculus Rift as both of them require a powerful VR- compatible PC to run apps and games.
HTC Vive upgrades over the years :
HTC Vive underwent several minor and major updates over the year and recently HTC unveiled HTC Vive Pro 2 with a 120 Hz refresh rate and a 5k resolution display.
Before HTC Vive Pro 2, HTC upgraded HTC Vive to HTC Vive Pro in 2018 which was again upgraded to HTC Vive Eye in 2019.
Vive is more of a modular VR headset and that brings in an array of accessories to go with it. An attractive marketing strategy!!
- Vive Base-stations are two box-like devices that create a 360-degree virtual space by emitting 60 Hz infrared pulses. It is picked by the headset and the Vive controllers at a ridiculous sub-millimeter precision. It is also called the Lighthouse tracking system.
- Vive Deluxe Audio-strap: It adds an integrated over-the-head headphone system for the VR headset.
- Vive Trackers: Vive Tracker is to be attached to the controllers and to be tracked via the Base-stations. It was originally launched as a single device for motion sensor games like Hyperblaster and sports games that needed a racquet or a bat.
- HTC VR Games: HTC owns a dedicated online shop called Viveport.com for VR- compatible high-end games. It designs and sells games for both HTC Vive and Oculus Quest headsets.
- Founded in: 1976
- Products: VR/MR headsets, VR ready PCs
- Website: Acer
Acer is a Taiwanese tech-conglomerate that specializes in manufacturing Personal Computers and Laptops with aggressive price points and compelling features. Recently, it has stepped into the world of VR with a couple of headsets that have won multiple awards.
- ACER OJO 500: Acer Ojo 500 is a VR headset designed for the Windows Mixed Reality platform. It was launched in 2018 and arguably the first VR headset with a detachable design. Along with that, it has incorporated its patented sound pipe technology and IPD feature. IPD is basically software-assisted Interpupillary Distance Adjustment technology. It offers positional tracking with 6 degrees of freedom and also inside-out tracking.
- Acer Windows Mixed Reality Headset: This is another high-end VR/MR headset by Acer that improves on OJO 500 with a more rich experience and smooth performance. It offers spatial audio where you perceive audio like you do in the real world. Motion Controllers are bundled up with the headset that is tracked by the headset when in action.